blog.powershell.no

On Windows PowerShell and other admin-related topics

Exchange 2007 e-mail address policy error

Today I was creating a new e-mail address policy on an Exchange 2007 server, and got this message when applying the new policy:

 

Warning:
Failed to update recipient "domain.local/Department/User 1". The following exception occurred: Exchange Server 2007 server.domain.local returned an error -2147023653 from the Address List Service..

Warning:
Failed to update recipient "domain.local/Department/Distribution List 1". The following exception occurred: A proxy generator DLL on server server.domain.local could not be found or failed to initialize.  Proxy addresses for the current recipient cannot be calculated.  Please ensure that all the proxy address generator DLLs have been installed on the target server..

Warning:
Failed to update recipient "domain.local/Department/User 3". The following exception occurred: Exchange Server 2007 server.domain.local returned an error -2147023653 from the Address List Service..

Warning:
Failed to update recipient "domain.local/Department/User 4". The following exception occurred: Exchange Server 2007 server.domain.local returned an error -2147023653 from the Address List Service..

 

I didn`t find any resolution when Googling for the error number.
I then tried changing the policy from a custom format to a standard format like %g.%s@domain.com, and then the policy applied successfully.

When reading things like “proxy genererator DLL” I started to fear that something was wrong with missing files on the server, so I do think that this error message could have been more decriptive like “Wrong syntax in policy” or something similar.

That being said, Exchange 2007 is a great product!

Advertisements

January 8, 2009 - Posted by | Exchange Server management

5 Comments »

  1. Hi Jan,

    Did you get an answer to why this happened, I have also got the error while updating the address policy!

    John.

    Comment by John Brines | February 9, 2009 | Reply

    • Hi John!

      Yes, the error happened because of a wrong syntax in the policy. I reset the policy to a standard format (e.g. “%g.%s@domain.com”), and then it applied successfully.
      I think they could have provided a better error message for this one…

      Jan Egil

      Comment by Jan Egil Ring | February 9, 2009 | Reply

  2. Hi,

    I have same problem in Exchange 2007. When i update my primary SMTP address than i am getting same error.

    I am new in exchange. Can you please tell me where to update or reset this policy.

    Comment by Vikas | October 6, 2009 | Reply

  3. Vikas, have a look at this blogpost from the Exchange team:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/16/431531.aspx

    Comment by Jan Egil Ring | October 7, 2009 | Reply

  4. Hi,
    I had the same error msg when I tried to run/apply a emailaddress policy with a name that conained a “.”

    I removed the . in the name of the plicy and it ran without any error.

    Comment by pei-teh | January 19, 2010 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: